Each ticketed passenger is allowed one carry-on bag, one personal item (coat or purse), and one checked bag, up to 50 pounds, free of charge.
When checking more than 1 item, the additional items will be loaded on a standby/space available basis and handled in accordance with voluntary separation baggage rules: when check-in requirements are not met or you have exceeded the checked baggage piece limit (more than 1), it is possible your baggage may not arrive on your flight with you. If this occurs, your baggage will be sent on the next available flight, space permitting. It is the responsibility of the customer to return to the airport for the retrieval of the impacted baggage upon notification of arrival.
Effective for Ravn Alaska (not Ravn Connect) tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after February 1st, 2019 but prior to April 15th, the following fees will apply:
- Checked bag #1: Free
- Checked bag #2: $15.00
- Checked bag #3-5: $75.00 each
- Checked bag #6-8: $100.00 each
- Checked bag #9 or more: $150.00 each
Effective for Ravn Alaska and PenAir (not Ravn Connect) tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after April 15th, 2019, the follow fees will apply:
- Checked bag #1: Free
- Checked bag #2: $15.00 on Ravn and $25.00 on PenAir
- Checked bag #3-5: $75.00 each
- Checked bag #6-8: $100.00 each
- Check bag #9 or more $150.00 each
Excess/overweight/oversize pieces travel on a space-available basis and are not guaranteed to travel with you on your same flight due to weight and space operational limitations. (Linear inches = width+height+length.). Effective for Ravn Alaska (not Ravn Connect) for tickets purchased or last exchanged prior to April 15th.
- 51-100 pounds: $75 each
- 62-115 linear inches: $75 each
- Items weighing over 100 pounds will not be accepted at the ticket counter and must be sent via air cargo or other means.
Effective for Ravn Alaska and PenAir (not Ravn Connect) tickets purchased on or last exchanged after April 15, 2019, the following overweight and oversize bag fees will apply:
- Overweight Bags (50-70lbs): $100.00 each
- Overweight Bags (71-99 lbs): $150.00 each
- Oversize bags – 62-115 linear inches: $75.00 each
Note: Ravn Alaska baggage rules and fees apply for flights connecting from Ravn Connect to Ravn Alaska. For Ravn Connect only operated flights, checked luggage is limited to 100 pounds free of charge. Items weighing over 100 pounds will not be accepted as checked luggage and must be sent via air cargo or other means. Oversize and/or overweight baggage connecting to a non-Ravn Air Group carrier will be charged per carrier rules. FlyAway Rewards Gold and Silver members are exempt from the 2nd checked baggage fee. If you have oversize or overweight baggage when making a connection to another carrier, both carriers’ charges will be collected.
Seasonal Baggage Allowance
Dillingham, Homer, Kenai, King Salmon, Kodiak, Sand Point – June 1 – August 31, 2019 – no more than 2 checked bags per person. Additional baggage may be checked and accepted on a standby, space-available basis. You will be notified by Ravn to return to the airport to pick up standby baggage when it arrives.
Military Baggage Allowance
Active duty U.S. military personnel and dependents with a valid military I.D. are allowed four (4) additional baggage pieces free of charge. Effective for tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after April 15, 2019 active duty U.S. military personnel and dependents with a valid military I.D. are allow five (5) baggage pieces free of charge. These additional baggage pieces may not exceed 50 lbs. each and must not be larger than 115 linear inches without incurring overweight or oversize fees. While the first five (5) bags are free; additional bags are $75 each.
Note: Ravn will make every effort to accommodate the additional four piece military baggage allowance. However, due to operational limitations additional pieces will be tagged voluntary separation and are subject to space availability.
Passengers are limited to one small carry-on item on flights operated by Ravn Alaska and Ravn Connect. You must declare your hand-carry to a Customer Service Agent and receive an approved hand-carry tag for each flight. If connecting on another carrier always check on that carriers website for carry-on guidelines and restrictions. If you are required to check your carry-on as a checked bag, because it is too large, baggage fees may apply. Please be sure to stop by our ticket counter to utilize our baggage sizer and to receive an approved hand-carry tag from one of our Customer Service Agents.
- The maximum weight limit for a Ravn Alaska hand-carry is 20 pounds and the maximum size is 18 inches long by 14 inches wide by 10 inches deep.
- The maximum weight limit for PenAir is 25 pounds and the maximum size is 16 inches long by 16 inches wide by 9 inches deep.
- The maximum weight limit for a Ravn Connect hand-carry is 10 pounds (itineraries that include a Ravn Alaska connection may check hand-carries at no charge provided they meet Ravn Alaska hand-carry criteria).
- A personal item such as a purse or jacket is also welcome.
Note: All fragile and valuable items as well as any medications and/or keys should be packed in your carry-on bag.
Ravn can check baggage through to your final destination on most carriers. If your travel includes one of our airline partners you may be subject to additional checked baggage restrictions or charges. Please check with the operating carrier for more information regarding their baggage policies.
In order for your connecting carrier or for Ravn to through check your luggage to/or from your destination, the following connections times must be met to or from Anchorage:
- Alaska Airlines – 1 hour and 10 minutes (Note: 1 hour for Fairbanks)
- Delta Air Lines – 1 hour and 30 minutes
- American Airlines – 1 hour
- United Airlines – 2 hours
- PenAir – 1 hour
Please note that if the above connection times are not met, baggage tags unfortunately cannot be issued to your final destination and all baggage must be re-claimed and re-checked at each airport applicable.
Many common items used everyday in the household or workplace may seem harmless; however, when transported by air, they can be very dangerous. Variations in temperature and pressure in flight can cause items to leak, start a fire or generate toxic fumes. Items that may not be packed in your carry-on or checked luggage include:
- Cannabis: While cannabis is legal to consume in the state of Alaska all Ravn flights are operated under federal law and cannabis is still illegal under that law. Passengers may not transport any amount of cannabis on a Ravn operated flight. Ravn employees will not take or hold any cannabis on behalf of a passenger.
- Cigarette lighters
- Cutting instruments: no cutting instruments of any kind regardless of size or composition are permitted in the cabin or beyond the security checkpoint. This includes knives of any kind, carpet knives, box cutters, scissors, razors, ice picks or other folding or retractable blades. Security may also confiscate other sharp objects such as manicure sets and cork screw type wine openers
- Dry Ice: may only be carried in checked baggage. The packaging must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas. There is a limit of five pounds of dry ice per package. The package must be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or the statement that the net weight of the dry ice is five pounds or less. The name of the contents being cooled along with the words “Dry Ice” or “Carbon Dioxide, Solid” must be on the outside of the package. Dry ice in excess of five pounds must be forwarded via air cargo
- Explosives: fireworks, gunpowder, signal flares, sparklers or other explosives
- Flammable liquids: fuel, paints, lighter refills, strike anywhere matches, sterno or solids
- Household items: drain cleaners, solvents, other caustic or corrosive solids or liquids
- Other materials: gasoline-powered tools, wet cell batteries, camping gear with fuel, hazardous radioactive materials, poisons, and infectious substances
- Pressurized containers: butane fuel, scuba tanks, propane tanks, CO2 cartridges, self inflating rafts, spray cans (limited amounts of personal toilet articles such as hairspray are allowed)
- Undeclared firearms: firearms may not be placed in carry-on baggage. They may be included in checked baggage if they are declared, unloaded and properly packaged. Special restrictions apply for flights to/from Canada. For more information, please see the separately titled section on firearms or call Ravn at 800-866-8394. For more information about the Canadian Firearm policy, click here.
The above items are only a sampling of hazardous materials that may not be placed in your baggage or carried on board. All other items classified as “dangerous goods” by the U.S. government are also prohibited from being placed in your luggage. The shipment of unauthorized dangerous goods may result in criminal or civil penalties. Click here for the TSA prohibited items list. Click here for the FAA hazardous material list.